I’ve created this little tutorial with screenshots on Opera Mini 5.1 with my windows phone, but we will be treating both java and touch screens.
NOTE: These instructions have been tested with Opera Mini 5 and 5.1 for Android, Windows mobile and Java. I don’t have a BlackBerry or iPhone but I believe that the process is similar.
1. Go the search site you want to add. I’m using yahoo as my example for this tutorial
2. Find the search box on the yahoo.com page
3. On touch screen phones: Do a long press on the search box. The context menu shown above left should appear. Tap “Add Search Engine”
> For non-touch screen phones: position the cursor on top of the search box and either press the “1″ key or do a long press on the “OK” or “center button”. The same context menu shown above right should appear. Tap “Add Search Engine”
4. The next screen lets you edit the name of the search engine before adding it (screenshot below). When you are done editing click or tap the button labeled “Add” or “Done“.
How to use your new custom Yahoo search you just created.
1. There is a bug in the Java version of Opera Mini 5 and 5.1 that prevents you from choosing a search engine if the “Fullscreen edit” option is enabled. You must put the Fullscreen edit to “Off” in the “Advanced” section of the “Settings” menu to be able to use any custom search engines.
2. Bring up the search box by going to the Opera Mini Start page.
3. On touch screen phones: Tap the search box and then tap again on the down pointing arrow in the right corner to bring up a list of available search engines. Tap the one you want to use and then enter your search query and press the “Search” button.
> On non-touch screen phones: Click the search box and then press the phones “Down” key to bring up a list of available search engines. Click the one you want to use and then enter your search query and press the “Search” button.
MANAGING AND DELETING A CUSTOM SEARCH ENGINES.
1. Bring up the list of search engines as if you were going to choose one to do a search.
2. On touch screen phones: Scroll to the bottom of the list and tap “Manage Search Engines”
> On non-touch screen phones: highlight the search that you want to delete or change, then click the soft key tag “Manage“.
…To delete the search engine
1. On touch screen phones: Tap the trash can icon next to the search you want to delete. Then tap it again to confirm.
> On non-touch screen phones: Click the delete option in the context menu that appears after you click the “Manage” softkey.
NOTE: You cannot delete the default search – Google in most markets
…To edit the search engine title or URL.
1. On touch screen phones: on the “Manage Search Engines” screen, tap the name of the search engine that you want to edit, make your changes and tap the “Save” button.
> On non-touch screen phones: Click the “Edit” option in the context menu that appears after you click the “Manage” softkey. Make your changes and press the “Save” softkey.
CONCLUSION: Custom search engines are actually very easy to add in Opera Mini ones you know how. I find this custom search really useful for doing site search…