Well, I guess one day or another you will need to refer your users about your Google+, Facebook, etc. profiles. You may have also seen some big sites like SML using similar method. If you want someone to use your coupon code without revealing it, then this is the best trick you can use. There are thousands of online domains which even ‘pay’ you when you mask your URL’s, but what about masking on your own domain? It can be really fun! Let’s read this post and I will show you how to do this task and why should you do this!
What Is Domain Masking?
Domain masking is the process of hiding a domain inside another domain to give out either professional look, or fool people (sometimes done by hackers) Domain masking sets either 301 Permanent Redirection to domain or 302 Temporary redirection to domain.
What Is 301 Permanent Redirection And 302 Temporary Redirection?
301 Permanent Redirection means permanently redirecting to a domain without leaving out anything whereas 302 Temporary Redirection leaves down some things for crawlers and search engines to tell them whether it’s a 301 redirection or 302. Let’s take a simple example. You have bookmarked a domain example.com, now the admin changed the domain and set permanent redirection (301) to his domain. Now, the favicon set for example.com will be changed to the favicon set for abc.com. If the author had set 302 redirection, then the favicon for existing users won’t have been changed.
Things Required Setting Up Custom Redirection (Masking):
- Domain to be masked
- That’s it!
How To Mask Domain Using cPanel?
- First of all, log into your cPanel which usually is on http://domain.com/cpanel or http://domain.com:2082
- After login, you will see a bunch of screen with a lot of icons ready to be clicked.
- Leave them all and navigate down to Domain Section.
- Click on Redirects
- Now, you will get a single big Redirects screen.
1. Type: This will set up type of redirection. 301 is Recommended.
2. Domain: Select your domain on which redirection is to be set. You can create your sub domains also like go.onenaijablog.com
3. Path: These are the words on which visitor visits gets redirected. Like: recommend/googleplus
4. Redirects to: This field has to be filled with the domain on which the above domain must be redirected. Like domain as onenaijablog in 2nd field and google in 3rd field and google.com in third field.
5. Redirection: Simply keep it as default. No need to mess with it.
6. Button: This will create your redirection.
From Editor’s Desk:
Well, you can create as many redirects as you want. This would help you to give your domain a more professional look. Rather than using cheap link shortner you can use this one too which will be secure and 100% trust able as it is hosted on your own custom domain. You can create sub domains to make a redirection domain too.
Must Read: 2013 Affiliate Marketing Strategies
We have talked so much about so much now let’s move the whole story and discussions to you guys. Are you confused with the whole illustrations and would love to ask questions? then please do by using the comment box below and we will surely get back to you.
Would you like to leave a comment, thoughts or even opinion? Feel free to express your thoughts by using the comment box below. Remember that your comments and thoughts are highly welcomed and appreciated.
Please do not forget to subscribe to our feed for your latest updates on the go.