If you are in a hurry, Windows 98 compatible printers are the HP Laserjet 5 and 6 printers. You can check them out on Amazon.
You must have a strong reason for sticking with your Windows 98 computer for this long.
Because a lot of software and hardware hardly work on the Windows 98 operating system.
It took a lot of time to find printers that are compatible with Windows 98 because Windows 98 does not have a USB port, so you need a printer with a parallel port.
I hope you find new printer ideas which you haven’t tried on this list.
Let’s get into it.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases when you use my links. This comes at no extra cost to you. (Thanks ?)
HP Laserjet 5
HP Laserjet 5 is a series of old 1990s printers that are vulnerable and compatible with Windows 98.
They are one of the earliest printers that HP produced. This series fit the requirement because it comes with a parallel port for connection to your computer.
The HP Laserjet 5 can print about 12-pages per minute with accelerated printing technologies.
Its printing quality isn’t poor either. It offers a 600-dpi printing with Resolution Enhancement technology.
Here are some things you’ll like about the HP Laserjet 5
- It can work with several paper sizes.
- HP Laserjet 5 comes with energy savings feature that reduces its electricity consumption.
- It also comes with Toner savings settings that reduce the amount of toner on pages by nearly 50%
- It comes with 45 built-in TrueType fonts and an additional 65 on the MS Windows.
Very importantly, the printer comes with 4MBytes memory which is upgradable to a maximum of 66MBytes.
NOTE: The HP Color LaserJet Windows 95 printing system MUST be utilized when using an HP Color LaserJet 5 or HP Color LaserJet series printer with Windows 98. The “PRINTERS.TXT” file on the Windows 98 CD contains inaccurate information on HP Color LaserJet and HP Color LaserJet 5, so it shouldn’t be utilized.
HP Laserjet 5M
HP Laserjet 5M is one of the printers in the Laserjet 5 series. It is an upgrade to the Laserjet 5 in features.
It offers all the features that Laserjet 5 offers but with more memory, an inbuilt Postscript language SIMM, and an HP JetDirect card.
The HP JetDirect card makes it possible to connect your printer to LocalTalk and EtherNet networks.
A Windows 98 computer can connect to an HP Laserjet 5M printer easily using the HP JetDirect card.
HP Laserjet 5M Features
- Compared with the Laserjet 5 printer which has 4MBytes, the 5M Printer comes with 6MBytes which is upgradable to 52MBytes. Besides the memory, it comes with 3 slots for external memory insertion. The 3 slots are for an additional 1MB, 2MB, 4MB, 8MB, and 16MB.
- In terms of language, the HP Laserjet 5M printer comes with an Adobe Postscript Level 2 software. This software allows for different page sizes and better color printing. It is an advancement to Level 1 software.
- It comes with 35 inbuilt fonts alongside 75 fonts on MS Windows.
- The HP Laserjet 5M allows you to connect to your computer using LAN (local area network), thanks to the HP JetDirect card.
NOTE: When using the HP Laserjet 5 and 5M printer, you’ll need the HP TrueType screen font to match your internal printer fonts.
HP Laserjet 6
This is also one of the models of HP printers that can work with Windows 98. It offers similar features to the HP Laserjet 5/5M printers.
Where to Find These Printers
You can find these old model printers on Amazon and Ebay. You can also walk into a local gadget store close to you to see if they have these models.
On this note, I hope you are able to get your printing done with any of these printers.
Leave me a comment if this worked out for you and if you have any other HP printer recommendation that works for you. (There is love in sharing and helping others).